Wednesday 3 August 2011

3rd August 2011 - And back to base

I pass through Hillmorton locks at 0700 this morning. The 'closed' locks look very open, not a chain or padlock in sight! I a bit shocked on coming out of the top lock to notice the water level is 5 inches or so below normal, they're (BW) not kidding that we're running out. I head on towards Braunston and again a whole load of boats are going the other way. At Braunston I turn right towards Napton and notice that the toll house at the junction is up for auction. I immediately phone Penny and tell her to buy it. Boats continue to come the other way and I'm in a line of three myself. I'm on very familiar ground now and put the guidebook away. As I approach Napton a boat comes out of Wigrams and heads straight for Calcutt, I make the right turn and follow it down. At Calcutt another shock! I've worked these locks many times and it's the first time I can remember queuing for them. In fact I'm fourth in line, sharing with the Wigrams boat. Our turn comes soon enough and down we go. I suspect a lot of people are avoiding the South Oxford due to the lock restrictions and are heading to Warwick instead. At the bottom I notice that this pound, the one the marina is connected to is low by about the same amount. I make the short cruise and a further right turn into Ventnor Farm, nearly 2 Months since I left! I pump-out and fill the diesel then wash the whole of the outside of the boat. I'm knackered.

Today 14 miles -     6 locks -     7 hours
Final: 657 miles - 493 locks - 337 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment